Thursday, June 29, 2006

Such a tease!


Today my dearest friend, Emily, came to visit. Even though flooding doubled her drive time, she was willing to come and spend a few hours with me. It was lovely.

I've know Emily longer than any of my other friends at this point. Fourteen years ago, we met on the last day of summer camp. We were in Middle School. At the time, she lived in Pennsylvania and I lived in Virginia. However, we became fast friends, writing letters like crazy and visiting when we could--which was usually tied to holiday visits with family. Years later, we have gone back and read some of those original letters. They are quite funny.

Even though its a 5 1/2 hour turnpike drive between us, we've managed to see each other nearly every month since I stopped working full time. It is wonderful, but we often laugh at how it teases us into thinking this will happen every couple of weeks. We'd both love to live close enough to meet for walks, but would settle for easy day trips. With more flexibility, I've been out in eastern PA much more often than the last couple of years allowed. And whenever I'm out east, it makes sense to try to see Em.

So, today she came to the bay and we enjoyed the warmth and sun while talking and reviewing the last couple of weeks since we last saw each other. It was wonderful. It always is.

One of the many things I love most about Em--and there are many--is that I can share anything with her, but I also know that we can sit and be quiet together and it's just as nice. It's centering to be able to trust a friendship so much.

I hope that someday we live close enough that we can see each other routinely. For now, its nice to see her whenever I can.

Thanks, Em, for coming. It was great to see you!

No comments: