Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Finding energy

For as long as I remember, when people talk about the energy rush they receive from exercise, I have had no idea what they're talking about. If I exercise hard--especially in the morning--I'm ready to go back to bed. And have, many times.

Nick is one to think that the only real exercise is to go jogging. I'm pretty sure my body wasn't built to do that.

Over the last year though, I've learned that there are some forms of exercise that do energize me. Pilates and Yoga.
In the last couple of weeks, I've tried two new kinds of yoga, and continue to enjoy the challenge, relaxation and flexibility training.

In Boone, I went to a Bikram class for the first time. The description I found online says, "hot, hot, hot, so be prepared to sweat, sweat, sweat. " Exactly. They close the windows and crank up the heat. I was completely wet, but feeling great afterwards.

This morning, I joined Brooke for a 7am restorative yoga class. It was a day of inversions. Meaning, upside down for an hour and a half. It was challenging, vulnerable, but fun...in a quiet, reflective kind of way.

It was a nice way to start the day.

(I'm trying to get some pictures together from our summer trip. Coming soon...as soon as the computer and camera cooperate.)

No comments: