Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Blueberry Pickin'



During the first couple years of high school, I spent a decent amount of time in the summer visiting my friends Cindy and Sandy in North Carolina. We spent days walking the lane, swimming in the lake-neighbor's pool-or cousin's hot-tub, and mostly making up stories. I am not sure why, but for some reason, we LOVED using our wildest imagination to come up with stories of how our life would become--often more silly than prophetic. In fact, I believe we even had our one friends marrying a classmate that we all disliked, after he lost both arms.

One of our responsibilities was always to help pick vegetables and fruit from the garden for dinner. We always found a way to turn everything into a game. And on this particular day, we were sitting on the hillside picking blueberries. We stuck blueberries up our noses making one another laugh and one of the twins started yelling, "Ding Dong Hot Dog Becky!" every so often. This (unfortunately) stuck and was repeated at different times over the course of the summer. Eventually, it was shortened to "beckarecka ding dong" which finally made its way to just being "beckarecka". It became so common place, that even their cousins called me this. Which explains where the name of my blog originates.

I did not pick blue berries again until this past month, while visiting my cousins, not far from where Cindy and Sandy grew up. It was fun, but certainly not full of the same unabashed silliness and imagination of that summer years ago. However, here are a few pictures from my recent pickin' experience.

No comments: