Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Caterpillar




The Caterpillar is taught in the Keith Smith book I got a few weeks ago, and so I decided to try it. This is a binding I've admired for a while, and so I knew that at some point I would bind at least one caterpillar. For better (when I'm sick of a specific color) or worse (the cost) it takes a lot of waxed linen to bind. It is one of the most complicated of bindings when you start, but like most bindings, after a few attempts, it is easy to catch on to the rhythm. I think the most difficult part is just keeping track of which thread should be where and when. Most two-needle bindings are that way. It took me about 4 1/2 hours to bind the entire book.

Since each of the six caterpillars (stations) were bound separately, I practiced enough to know what I would do to prepare the book differently next time as well as how to spot mistakes during the sewing. While it looks like a heavy duty binding, it feels like you are binding the linen to itself instead of to the book, and so the book doesn't feel as strong as a regular coptic binding. However, without my mistakes, that may not be the case. I'll try it again and see what happens. Mistakes or not, the binding seems to be fairly forgiving in appearance.

1 comment:

hippiepotomus said...

I have to say that this binding sort of gives me the creeps. It reminds me of these centipedes here, that are fairly poisonous - they won't kill and adult, but small kids and the elderly need to be careful...oh they're so creepy. I found one dead on the porch the other day and one in the house - I had nightmares that night about them crawling into my bed and stinging me. Eww! I prefer your other bindings! Smile.