Friday, August 04, 2006

Exposed Bindings

For months-or possibly the entire last year-I had inside paper and covers cut for about 12 different books. And they sat. I really enjoy making books and love decorative papers, but had a hard time getting around to using the decorative papers to finish these books. This is the week.

I spent the first couple of days covering the books and inside pages and then began some binding a few days ago. All but two of the books were designed to have exposed bindings, and while I have learned several, I only remember one fully--the one-needle coptic stitch. So, I ordered a Keith Smith book: Volume III Non-Adhesive Binding: Exposed Spine Sewings. And then I improvised.

About three years ago, I did this:


The one thing I do remember is that it was a two-needle binding. And now I am unable to find the instructions anywhere, so I tried three different variations to see what would happen. None of them were sewn using two needles. I am so impatient.

Here are the made-up variations:


I'll share some of the better directed bindings once the book arrives and I have the opportunity to try them. In the meantime, I have a few more books to put together sans sewing, and a studio to clean.

No comments: