Saturday, April 28, 2007

Adjusting

Nick's new bed:



Every night after I say goodnight to Nick, I look back down and see this image. Nick has found sleeping in the chair to be one of the more preferable sleeping positions with a broken humerus. It is a peaceful and calm image in the midst of pain and discomfort.

Overall, things are going well. He had a check-up yesterday and the doctor felt good about how things are progressing. This is all (obviously) new to us and so we do have some apprehension about the healing process. He does not have a cast, but rather an arm cuff. The most difficult hurdle for me is getting up the nerve to remove all supports for bathing. I just can't believe that it is okay to have the arm naked for even a fraction of time. But, given that Nick is anxious to shower instead of partially sponge bathing, I'll need to get over this soon.

Thank you to everyone who has sent encouragement, thoughts, prayers and support. We really appreciate it. We haven't had a chance to respond to you all, and apologize for that. Life has been a bit exhausting and full lately. Luckily, we've had some friends and family stop by to help us out. Thanks to everyone. Please know that if we haven't responded, it isn't personal, we're just trying to keep up with life.

1 comment:

Chad said...

Hey Becky (and Nick):

Great photo of Nick. I really miss seein' you two. I got so used to those weekly dreaming sessions about houses, life, etc.

I'm sitting here with Esme grooving to Richard "the Limey" while she eats cheese (she's drumming on a book in between slices). Life seems to still be filled with such simple moments. But meanwhile I can hardly wrap my head around the idea that we're leaving in only 2 1/2 weeks. Jess is almost done with work. All we seem to have left to do is round up our stuff and say goodbye. What a strange time.

We're still planning to see you later this month if all goes well. It would be great to be be there.

Chad