Saturday, September 29, 2007

Canning



Over the last month, I have spent some portion of each weekend canning, freezing and drying. So far that includes:

Canning:
9 Quarts of Salsa
6 Quarts & 1 Pint of Pickles
8 Quarts of Tomato Soup
8 Quarts of Veggie Soup
4 Quarts of Veggie Stock

Freezing:

Pureed Delicata Squash
Pesto
Hot Peppers
Banana Peppers
Kale
Green Beans
Zucchini

Drying:
Basil
Oregano
Sage
Dill
Thyme
Parsley
Lemon Balm

So, today is quite possibly my final day of packing away for the winter. I just finished up 2 Quarts and 12 Pints of Spicy Tomato Soup. I'm also in the process of making a Green Tomato Salsa. We got our fancy heirlooms in the ground a bit later than we should have this year (I'm blaming the uterus) and so we have a ton of green tomatoes. AND, last night we had our first light frost. I think our ripening days are numbered. I have never made green tomato salsa before and I'm a bit nervous about how it will turn out. But, I'm willing to play with it until it's at least edible and maybe we'll just plan on getting the tomatoes in a wee bit earlier next spring.

So, do you can, freeze or dry from your garden (or local farmer's market)? What have you stored away for the winter?

1 comment:

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Your canned goods look so pretty and yummy!

I have not canned yet! I have froze a few things, Blackberries and Strawberries, peppers,sugar snap peas and tomatoes, I wasn't sure if the tomatoes would be as good frozen as canned but you know they were...All grown by me or my neighbor, who so kindly lets me pick blackberries at her place every year! How nice is that :O)...
I do have Blackberries planted but it takes them a few years to get big enough for a crop :O)...

I have grown Potatoes and was amazed at how long they will keep in a cool dark place! as does Spaghetti and Butternut Squash! Along with Pumpkins.

The Spaghetti Squash actually stayed good almost till my next harvest of them the following year! I had bumper crop and it took us that long to use them up!

I have the supplies to can but need the nerve to go with the supplies! LOL... I have let it intimidate me!

I did not put in a huge garden last spring as Texas had been in a severe drought for 2 plus years and it was so difficult, then look we got sooooo much rain this year! Murphys law...