Sunday, December 16, 2007

Two differences

Tonight I am aware of two big differences between living in the city and living in the country. We are in the midst of our first winter storm this season and I feel like I should know more than I do. This probably makes no sense, but it is just so dark here. And it is blowing so much that I can't tell if it snowing anymore because I don't have the option of just looking at one of the many streetlights to see if it is still snowing. It is just dark and whatever is happening is happening without my monitoring apparently.

Secondly, the wind here...Wow! Since we moved here I have been amazed (frightened) by the wind on more than one occasion. But as I sit in bed tonight I am aware that I can hear the gusts of wind making their way down through the valley long before I hear their force reach our house. This is always accompanied by my silent pleas that there is a reason that this house has withstood the winds for nearly twenty years. It is just so incredibly loud. Unfortunately, the house is also a bit drafty. I guess with 60 mph gusts, the wind is going to find its way into the house in one way or another. So, we'll just add another quilt to the bed and hope that the noise doesn't keep us awake.

No comments: