Monday, January 21, 2008


My Poinsettias look pathetic. What happens to yours after Christmas? Do you toss them? Do you replant them? Can they last all year? Any advice is welcome, I hate giving up on a plant.

Tomorrow I am headed to Pittsburgh for a few days. A dear friend of mine unexpectedly lost her father last week. It is incredibly sad. I am going to spend a few days there-attend the funeral, be nearby for support and be present in whatever way suits her best.

I haven't been to Pittsburgh since June, when we were there for my surgery. I have been thinking about all of the great restaurants and what I will be able to order. Vietnamese and Indian are topping my list. I'm also excited to visit Trader Joes and Ikea. I also have several other friends I hope to see while I'm in town.

I haven't had a seven-hour solo road trip in years. I wish Nick were able to be away from work and come with me. Before the move, we often spent a week here or there a part because of Nick's job. This past year we haven't spent much time away from one another. I'm really going to miss him.

With that said, it is also a bit exciting to think about returning to see what he accomplishes on our house project. This weekend the hardwood floors were installed in the master bedroom and partially in the hallway. Maybe I'll return to trim and doors and painted base-board radiators. Whenever I bring this up, Nick laughs. So, who knows, maybe he has other plans.

I have some Vietnamese-language lessons I plan to listen to on the ipod. I don't know if they are worth my time or not, but I figure it is a place to start. Actually, now that I think about it, the last time I had a road trip this long by myself, I didn't have a cell phone, an ipod or a CD player. Surely, those items will make the time fly by quickly.

I'm taking my camera and the laptop and will post throughout the week. Maybe I'll finally get around to photographing the old bridges and churches....something that I always meant to do. Or maybe I'll be sitting in my favorite restaurants with good friends, and never get around to braving the cold for a few pictures. Which I have to admit, sounds pretty good. Yea, that is most likely what will happen.

Thanks to you all for the many comments and suggestions of the last week. I love them all! I'll keep you updated on what I do for my artist dates each week. I have a few ideas for while I am in Pittsburgh.

No comments: