Thursday, May 08, 2008

Bad Habits

As I wrote this post in my head, it was to be on the adoption blog. However, Nick has the laptop, where I have my user name and password stored. He's in New Orleans. For a week. (At a green building conference.) Whoops. So, I'm writing it here instead.

So, this bad habit is something that anyone who calls us probably already knows and most likely finds fairly annoying. I never remember to check our voice mail. Part of it is that I don't like talking on the phone, so I rarely pick up the phone to here the beeping dial tone. The other part of it is that if I actually hear the beeping dial tone, it is because I have a call I need to make. By the time I'm done, I forget again. I'm sorry if that has included you once or twice or more.

But, what has brought this to my attention is that we have been waiting nearly 5 months for an adoption referral from Vietnam. We were told that most referrals are given between 3-6 months (often around 5). And yet, I never think to check my messages after I have been out. This has to change. So far, I've been in close enough email contact to know what it is going on. But, as we get closer, I can't risk not learning about our baby because I forget to check messages. So, starting today, I am going to try to break this bad habit.

Unfortunately, I can't promise that it will make me like talking on the phone. But, maybe I will hear your message sooner than a week after you leave it.

No comments: