Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Reading

Lately I've been reading a lot. I feel like a carefree kid, spending her endless summer days getting lost in book after book after book. Some of them text, a few of them audio. (Audio books are handy when mowing or taking long walks or driving to and from town.) I have been loving it. I hate ending books, I usually want the story to continue. And so instead of being disappointed, I grab another and let the enthrallment begin again.

I should say that I wouldn't go as far as actually recommending any of these books to anyone. In fact, for the most part, I don't remember most of the titles or authors. But I would completely recommend picking up a book that is just for fun. A chocolate book, as my one friend would call it. You don't have to learn anything, you don't have to impress anyone with the prestige of the author...you just have to get lost in the story and enjoy the indulgent space of forgetting everything else.

It is a perfect way for me to enjoy this summer. And its an incredible way to pass the time waiting to bring our baby home. I may even remember this summer-of-waiting as one of my best adult summers ever. If only, the pull to clean, cook and care about all of that were as strong as my pull to read these days...

No comments: