Friday, July 25, 2008

"Would you stop having children to save the environment?"

I came across a link to the BBC's "World Have Your Say" today. This specific episode is called, "Overpopulation." I find the whole conversation very interesting. Having only one sibling, I have often romanticized what it would have been like to have had another sibling as well. When Nick and I were dating and first married, we felt sure that we would not have more than two children b/c of population growth. In fact, it was part of what brought us into the conversation of adoption.

Now we know that we will not personally be adding to the population with biological children, but we should still consider the impact our family will have on the environment. Given that the carbon footprint of an American child is so much greater than that of a child from a developing country...I feel a need to take pause and consider it all again. After all, we do live in the US and so will our children. Who knows...there may be some other factors that hold us to two children....afterall, adoption isn't inexpensive.

The BBC program made me think. I encourage you to take the time to listen to it as well. One of my favorite things was at the very beginning when the professor listed all of his re:s Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, etc., he included the word Refuse. It made me stop and think, "Yes!" Now I just need to figure out what that means for us.

No comments: